New Draft of Book Layout

I have drafted another example of a book layout for this project. I took on board feedback that I received from the group in class, as well the feedback from my participants and this is the result of what I have come up with. I heavily considered the format of my book, and did decide to go for a portrait format, rather than square to prevent it from looking to ‘family album’ and potentially tacky. I also decided to go for a blank front cover, to keep a more minimal style, but also because if I want to make this myself, I can create a plain hardback cover with printed words on instead, which I think will look much smarter.

I am still really unsure on this design and I think it has a lot of work that needs to be done to it before it will be ready to be a final draft, but at the moment it is definitely a good place to be at because I have begun to put text and images together. There is still a lot of tweaking that needs to be done, especially in terms of narrative construction and page layout. I am also concerned the book length is getting rather long, and I feel it may need to be cut down, but I also do not want to lose images at this expense.

I am happy with the way it is going, and I think so far it is a step the right way, but I am aware there is a lot that needs to be done to the design layout before I will be happy with it and the way in which it looks. I have sent a copy of the book edit so far to my participant to have a look at, so that I can also get their feedback and progress from here in regards to what they would like to do and how they think the project has come together, as as a participant, their input is invaluable.

Here is the 3rd draft as it stands:

Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 21.38.48Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 21.39.30Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 21.39.40Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 21.39.53Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 21.40.08Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 21.41.24Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 21.41.36Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 21.42.33Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 21.42.47Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 21.43.23Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 21.46.07Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 21.46.21Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 21.46.33Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 21.46.43Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 21.46.57Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 21.47.08Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 21.47.19

I have tried to make the book more chronologically based as we discussed in class as a sensible narrative. This is the best way to look at the narrative I feel and the best way to try to create and tell the story visually as well as using the text. I have hit points where I have struggled to find images that relate strongly to the text, or I have images I really want to include but I just cannot find space for them to sit within the narrative well. This is an issue that I hope to iron out as I progress the design more and the narrative.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s